School of Architecture
The School of Architecture at McGill University was founded in 1896, when a chair in architecture was established in the Faculty of Applied Science (today, the Faculty of Engineering) by Sir William C. Macdonald. At that time, the program leading to the professional degree was four years and the School operated in the Macdonald Engineering Building under the leadership of its first Director, Stewart Henbest Capper.
The School of Architecture is now one of seven units reporting to the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering. This includes five engineering departments - Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Applied Mechanics, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Mining and Materials Engineering - and two Schools - the School of Urban Planning and the School of Architecture. Since 1987, the Schools of Architecture and Urban Planning have been housed in the Macdonald-Harrington Building, which was constructed to accommodate the Departments of Chemistry and Mining by architect Sir Andrew Taylor in 1896, and renovated for the two Schools by architects Ray Affleck and Arcop Associates.
To advance professional architectural education that flourishes through research, critical practice, and community engagement.
The School of Architecture educates professionals who contribute to the global community through the design, construction, and interpretation of the built environment. The School:
encourages a diverse environment for teaching, learning, and research, supported by both traditional and state-of-the-art digital resources.
develops professional and post-professional research-based Master's and Ph.D. programs that enable graduates to contribute responsibly to the profession, to research, and to careers in related fields.
enriches multi-disciplinary teaching and research within the University and in connection with other local and international universities.
engages citizens' groups, local, provincial, and national governments, the private sector, and the profession toward the improvement of the built environment.
The McGill Architecture Students Association (ASA) is the official representation of all undergraduate architecture students at McGill. Since 2011, the ASA is part of the McGill Engineering Undergraduate Society (EUS). The ASA is also part of the Canadian Architecture Students' Association (CASA). If you are enrolled in the B.Sc.(Arch) program at McGill, you are a member of the ASA. The ASA Council is the governing body of the ASA and is comprised of 19 members, all undergraduate students.
The Graduate Architecture Students' Association (GASA) has recently been established. Until 2010, the ASA also represented graduate architecture students at McGill. When architecture students decided to join the Engineering Undergraduate Society (EUS) in November 2010, the ASA was forced to change its constitution to reflect the undergraduate nature of its new parent organisation.
The ASA Council is comprised of 7 Executive Officers, 5 Auxiliary Officers and 7 Class Representatives.There is also the position of ASA secretary, a non-voting position traditionally held by a U1 student. To find out more about the ASA's structure and different positions click here.
Besides organizing events and fun activities, the ASA acts as a liaison between the professors, staff and administration of the School of Architecture and its undergraduate students. At the faculty level, the ASA has 4 seats on the council of the Engineering Undergraduate Society (EUS). The ASA also works to connect architecture students together with the larger creative and architecture community in Montreal.